Friday, June 04, 2004

for pete's sake, let them color!

My sister Lori shared a wonderful story with me yesterday as we sat on her porch and talked about how people come to faith.

"When I looked back and thought about it, during the two sermons I heard that were the key to unlocking my faith . . . Mom, let me color."

Even in sixth grade, Lori needed to be releasing her pent-up energy so she could listen to what was being said.

For some kids, sitting still in church, no crayons, no pencils, no scribbling on the bulletins, is akin to wearing earmuffs. Some adults too. I still have to doodle away the minutes during the sermon.

Why I had to share this? I sure as heck don't know. Guess I just feel sorry for squirmy kids who need to use their hands so their ears remain open.

grace,

lisa

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna J. Shepherd said...

My husband is the pastor of the church, and there I sit every Sunday doodling away. I get some of my best ideas while sitting there listening to him. He used to think I didn't hear a word he says until I could recite his sermom points back to him! Now he just thinks he's my inspiration. *g*

Donna
www.devotionalsbydonna.blogspot.com

June 5, 2004 at 12:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home