Wednesday, June 02, 2004

I'm a Spoiled Brat

If you get Christianity Today, make it a point to read Andy Crouch's column in the June issue which is the inspiration for this blog.

I wish I could say I'm done being a spoiled brat. And maybe I'll succeed in casting it aside at least for today after reading Andy Crouch's column about the teenage girl in another land. She was sold into slavery under false pretenses into a brothel and raped repeatedly. Scripture was written all over her wall, including, "The Lord is the strength of my life."

- And I question God when my can opener won't work right.
- I complain when my Volvo won't start in the driveway of our 5 bedroom house.
- I'm grumbing because my husband is looking at a seminary in California now and dear God, I'm an Easterner through and through and will I survive in Plastic Surgery Park, Push-Up Bra World, Workout Wonderland?
- I hate my thighs.

And what the hell is wrong with me? Is the Lord the strength of my life? Well, yeah. Do I act like it? Well, no.

At times like this, I wish to go live in the Ingall's dugout on Plum Creek. Just leave my house behind and not look back. To start over again "knowing what I know now." Is it possible? Can I set my spoiled ways aside? Am I brave enough? Are you?

And then what? Where do I go from there? What does it look like beyond the borders of my lifestyle Narcissism, my bratty Ur?

Guess Plum Creek is out.

grace,

lisa

3 Comments:

Blogger siouxsiepoet said...

good of you to admit it lisa. if you're an american, chances are, you're a spoiled brat. even though my husband has not had permanent work for 38 months, and counting, i am still a spoiled brat. but oh, how i hope to change that. i think it breaks God's heart that we are so focused on enlarged territory and the bless me fill my bank account theology. blessings.

June 2, 2004 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger Jaime said...

I love your posts. They are so refreshingly honest.

I agree...as American Christians, we are spoiled brats. When did our blessings become a curse like this? Is it possible to reverse ourselves? I hope so, because this can't be the way God wanted me to live...

June 2, 2004 at 2:31 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi Lisa! I think people from back East would not consider a few years in California as a reason to call upon the Lord for strength...but I moved to the Pacific NW and sure wouldn't want to go back. For one thing, I've acclimated to a climate where 60 degrees and sprinking is shirt-sleeves weather, where people crowd into ice cream parlors when it gets over 70. I'm enjoying your blog.

June 13, 2004 at 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home