Sunday, August 08, 2004

on the turntable

The turntable? Oh, would those days were here. I'd be twenty again.

Wait. If I had to relive the last twenty years not knowing what I know now . . . hmm, pass the CD player.

You know, I'm just not very cool when it comes to music. Will is into jazz which is cool and smart. Right now my CD player in the car holds:

Third Day - some worship album which I love but don't ask me to remember the name. I don't do stuff like that.
James Taylor's greatest hits.
Seed of Faith kids CD
Black Eyed Peas -- Will put that in because he's cooler than I am. I do like it, though, when I'm not in a mellow mood.
Relient K - Tyler's CD, which is hilarious, especially Pink Tux.
Good Charlotte - my favorite CD of the bunch. Love those Marylanders!
And I can't remember the other four.

Okay, Tyler just walked up, three of the others are DC Talk Supernatural and Intermission, Caedmon's Call - 40 Acres.

Got to get some Billy Joel back in play. Heard Rosalinda's Eyes yesterday and became immersed in nostalgia. "I can always find my Cuban skies, in Rosalinda's Eyes."

I love music that takes me back. Call me a sentimental fool. What takes you back?

grace,

lisa

2 Comments:

Blogger bobbie said...

oh you samson's and your music questions! :)

your's is easier to answer than will's (favorite song - impossible, i've been pondering for 36 hours and can't narrow it down!)

what takes me back... hmmmm

there was a vw commerical (i think) featuring styx 'mr robato' and that one took me back. styx and foreigner, reo speedwagon and cheap trick. any song from any one of those bands brings me right back.

from there i went into 60's and 70's music - the doors, beatles, lynard skynard, steve miller band (so those songs are from an earlier time than i remember when i hear them). my cousin moved in with us and she was a rebel and brought her albums with her. she used to get so mad at me for borrowing them.

music is a window into my adolescent soul.

August 10, 2004 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger Jaime said...

What takes me back? Hmmmm...

Smells. Fields of clover, and apple pie, and spaghetti sauce that had cooked all day. The lingering scent of cedar on clothes you never wear.

I was walking around the side of a museum a few weeks ago and was arrested in my tracks by a scent I hadn't smelled in half a lifetime. My brother was right behind me and I turned to him to see the same look on his face that must have been on mine. "It smells like Ma's house," he said. Ma was our grandmother, who died in 1999, and along the walkway were the same kind of shrubs that she had planted around her house in Syracuse. I don't even know what they're called, and I can't tell you what they smelled like, but boy, for a moment, I thought I was a child again, back at her house.

August 10, 2004 at 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home