Friday, August 06, 2004

two red leaves and coffee on the deck

Autumn comes early to Maryland this year and I'm all for it.

Yesterday two scarlet leaves lay in the yard. Don't know from whence they fell. I saw no others. But they lay there on the long grass, like visual popping corn springing up to meet my gaze and I thought, Man! I forgot how much I love you guys, and instantly, the world cooled down a degree or two and for the first time in my life I wished the month of August away, thinking maybe a sweater would just do the trick to gentle my soul and socks might be a nice way to gear up for my scattered life as I puttered the mower up toward the driveway.

This morning, I let Miles Davis out for his morning constitutional. The air had cooled overnight, I'd guess settling somewhere in the high 50's. I immediately ran upstairs where Will was checking his email and suggested our morning hot cuppas on the deck. "Put your sweatshirt on."

"Really?"

"Yeah. It's like fall out there."

So we sat together, he with his tea, me with my coffee, and we chatted and dreamed and planned and thought big ideas and planned big plans because that first taste of Autumn, the cool slip of a changing season in your mouth, down your throat and filling your heat-addled summer lungs makes you think that just about anything is possible, and maybe, just maybe even probable.

grace to all of my bloggie friends today,

lisa


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home