Sunday, August 15, 2004

who i'd like to be

Proverbs 31:25 - She is strong and graceful, as well as cheerful about the future. CEV

I came across this verse this morning. I get E-Word sent to me each day. To be honest, I rarely read it. But I did just a few minutes ago because, heck, it was an easy Bible read for what promises to be a crazy busy Sunday. (No, I don't spend three hours in prayer and devotion preparing my heart for church. Sorry.)

Normally, I read this passage, throw up my hands and think, "Why bother?" I don't sew, I don't buy fields and sell them, my husband doesn't sit around the marketplace and talk about how great I am. This is silly to think I could ever be this way. I'm just proud of myself when I go to bed at night and there are no dishes in the sink. Which is just about never.

But verse 25 twanged a possibility inside of me. Maybe it's doesn't have to mean graceful like a ballet dancer in my case, but full of grace, and "strength cometh from the Lord" (there, you had your dose of KJV for the day), and the future is in God's hands so why fret in such a way as to bind your hands, why not be cheerful? Hopefully I can become someone like that, hopefully it's before I'm too old to do anything with it!

Today Gwynnie and Jake are getting baptized today. There's promise sitting with the sun just below this morning's horizon and while I may not yet be very strong or graceful, I'm as thankful as a mother can be. All of my children know Jesus. And that's truly the most cheerful thought a mother can have.

grace,

lisa

1 Comments:

Blogger bobbie said...

and they shall rise up and call you blessed!

August 15, 2004 at 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home