Monday, August 16, 2004

yesterday

Some Sundays are holier days than others. Yesterday slid into that category with ease. The baptism service on the banks of Deer Creek stirred something deep in my soul. Will took pictures of Jake and Gwynnie coming up out of the water. The water chilled their limbs but they trudged right on in. My brother-in-law Tim talked about how precious baptizing anyone is, but when it's your niece and nephew it makes it an extra special time. I grew up Presbyterian, so believer's baptism held little importance, but as I stood there on the creek, I could easily picture John the Baptizer holding a hand out to Jesus as he stepped forth into the water. There was something ancient about what we did yesterday, something very wide - like the Amazon River or the rings of Saturn. Something ritual, something connected.

grace for your week,

lisa

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful, Lisa! You must be so proud ... and relieved. I look at my own two little girls, who are only 5 and not-quite-3, and just pray that the Lord would work in their lives and that my husband and I would let Christ shine through us.

August 16, 2004 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger Jaime said...

Great post! What a blessed event!! I grew up Baptist, but am Reformed in my theology, so am a member of the PCA now....but I still adhere to believer's baptism over the Presby version. There is something that is just soul-deep joyful about witnessing a believer being baptized, and I can imagine it is far more intense when it is your child.

Congrats!!!

Jaime
www.achorshope.blogspot.com

August 17, 2004 at 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are they ever CUTE!

August 18, 2004 at 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home